Follow the instructions below to configure Mach4 for your specific machine. Instructions to license your Mach4 software will follow this Mach4 Configuration guide. You can configure and run Mach4 in demo mode prior to licensing the software
1. Open Mach4¶
- With your Plug and Plug Electronics control box powered on and connected to your PC, open Mach4 using the "Avid CNC" shortcut on your desktop.
- Open the "Avid CNC Machine Configuration" window located in the Configure tab.
2. General Settings¶
The General tab contains options to help setup Mach4 based on your machine's configuration. For each item, choose the appropriate selection (selection options will vary depending on machine model). When you click "Save" this will reconfigure Mach4 with your new settings. You can click "Cancel" to exit without re-configuring Mach4 and any selections you may have changed will not be saved.
Model: Select the model of your machine.
"PRO CNC" and "Standard CNC" are large-format machines. If you have a benchtop machine, be sure to select the appropriate benchtop model.
Machine Width: Select the width of your machine.
Machine Length: Select the length of your machine.
If you have a custom sized PRO CNC machine there is an option for "Custom" Length and Width, described below.
Custom Width or Length: Enter the appropriate width or length dimension of your machine, in inches. Click "OK" to save this custom value.
Z-Axis Travel: Select the travel of your Z-Axis. The default Z-Axis travel is 8 inches unless you specifically ordered your PRO CNC or Standard CNC machine with 12 inch Z-Axis travel.
Electronics: If you have our Plug and Play Electronics (either NEMA 23 or NEMA 34), select "CRP800". If you are using a DIY electronics kit, please contact us for the best configuration settings to use.
Motor Type: Select the type of motors your machine has.
The default shaft size for NEMA 23 motors is 3/8". You will only have NEMA 23 (1/4" shaft) motors if you specifically ordered this option.
Cutting Tool: Select the type of cutting tool your machine has. If your machine has both milling and plasma cutting tools, select either "Spindle / Plasma" or "Router / Plasma". The Mach4 Users GuideMach4 Users Guide will describe how to switch between cutting methods.
If you select "Spindle / Plasma" or "Router / Plasma" you will see a screen appear to select the layout of your dual Z axes. This is used to set the correct X axis home offsets.
Homing Sensors: Select the axes on your machine which have homing sensors. The current Avid CNC Proximity Sensor Kits include homing sensors for X, Y, and Z axes.
4th Axis: If your machine has an additional 4th Axis, select the appropriate option. "Custom" will allow you to enter your own motor tuning parameters for the motor controlling your 4th axis. This is described in more detail below.
Custom 4th Axis: If you selected "Other" for the 4th Axis option, you will be able to specify the parameters listed below for motor tuning. If you want to use different units for motor tuning, first change the "Machine Setup Units" in the Advanced SettingsAdvanced Settings tab.
- Axis Type: Select if this is a linear or rotary axis.
- Counts Per Unit: Enter the number of steps per unit of your stepper motor.
- Max Velocity: Enter the maximum velocity in the units shown.
- Max Acceleration: Enter the maximum acceleration in the units shown.
- Reverse: Select this checkbox to reverse the motion of the motor.
- Rollover: Select this checkbox to enable as a rollover axis. This can be only be selected with a "Rotary" axis type.
Rotary Length: If you selected an "Avid PRO CNC Rotary Axis" 4th Axis, you will have an option to specify the overall rotary length.
3. Advanced Settings¶
The Advanced settings tab contains additional options for configuring Mach4.
- Swap X and Y axes: Enabling this option will swap the orientation of the X and Y axes. The table axis will be the X axis and the gantry axis will be the Y axis.
- Use custom soft limits: Enabling this option will allow you to specify your own maximum and minimum soft limits for all axes. Using this feature will be explained in more detail in the Mach4 Users GuideMach4 Users Guide.
- Use custom homing settings: Enabling this option will allow you to specify your own settings for home order, home offset, and home direction. Using this feature will be explained in more detail in the Mach4 Users GuideMach4 Users Guide.
- Disable Avid CNC Mach4 Configuration: Enabling this option will prevent any configuration changes from being made when using the Avid CNC Mach4 Configuration window. When you check this box, you will see all of the other options disabled. Click "Save" for this change to take effect. This option will also disable the "Machine Setup" tab, detailed further in the Mach4 Users GuideMach4 Users Guide.
- Machine Setup Units: You can chose between metric or imperial dimensions for the machine setup units. These are the units used for parameters such as motor tuning. If you are using custom 4th axis motor tuning, those values will use the machine setup units you have selected here.
The About tab contains information that can be useful when talking with our support team. Listed here are the versions numbers for our Mach4 profile, the Ethernet SmoothStepper Plugin, and the TMC3in1 Plugin.